Adest SQL Server Installation Guide
This material is intended for Adest Limited employees, resellers, and their clients. Quotation, citation, attribution, reproduction, or utilisation of any portion of this publication by any other party other than Adest Ltd is strictly prohibited without express written permission from Adest Ltd. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, and recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of Adest Ltd. Nothing in this publication shall be deemed a warranty, implied or expressed.
Information in this document is subject to change without notice.
Adest SQL Server Installation
This guide will help you to perform a new SQL Server standalone installation manually (We use SQL Server 2014 Express with Advanced Services for this guide).
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express with Advanced Services (SQLEXPRADV)
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express is a free, feature-rich edition of SQL Server that is ideal for learning, developing, powering desktop, web & small server applications, and for redistribution by ISVs. This package contains all the components of SQL Server Express including the full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio; it also includes Full Text Search and Reporting Services.
- A Computer with the NTFS file format.
- You must be a Local Admin to carry out these procedures.
- .NET 3.5 SP1 is a requirement for SQL Server 2014.
- SQL Server 2014 requires a minimum of 6 GB of available hard-disk space and a minimum of 1 GB RAM.
Download a copy of Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express. You can get it from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42299 or from http://downloadsqlserverexpress.com/
Once you have a copy of Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express, double click on SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe or Right and select Open or Run as Administrator.
It will ask you select a folder to extract the files. Once files are extracted successfully, it will trigger installation process and you will be able to select your required options from there.
If in case previous process is not triggering installation you can open the folder where you extracted files and run Setup.exe manually.
Confirm Yes to User Access Control Message window to continue with installation.
- From the SQL Server installation Center Screen, select Installation from left hand side. This screen shows the types of installation available. Select the first type available "New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation".
- On the SQL Server 2014 Setup screen, accept the license terms and click Next
The above is the License Terms page. Read the license agreement and if you agree with it, check the "I accept the license terms" check box, and then click the Next button.
- On the Feature Selection screen, from the Instance Features section select all features under Database Engine Services and Reporting Services – Native. And from shared features section select all features under Management Tools Section
And click Next. Select required features only as below.
- On the Instance Configuration screen, select "Named Instance" and name it accordingly so it is Unique and reasonable. Click Next.
- Select Defaults from Server configuration screen for Service Accounts and Collations. Click Next.
Create and use separate domain accounts with local admin rights for each service account. Enable SQL Server Browser
Check and ensure the collation by default it will be Latin1_General_CI_AI.
- In Database Engine Configuration screen select Mixed Mode, and create a password for your SQL Server. Write down your password and keep it somewhere important, you will need it to connect with Adest. Select add current user to add the user to the default administrator section. This will allow access via windows authentication.
- Select Data Directories Tab, Change Data Root directory in to a more suitable/ preferable place to manage the data files individuals, select suitable paths for storing system databases, user databases and Temp DB. Click Next.
- In Reporting Services Configuration Screen, Select Install and Configure option under Reporting Services Native Mode. Click Next.
- Click Next until your setup is complete. Click Close.